what should i do?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cgmaster, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cgmaster

cgmaster Songster

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    I have rescently learned that both of my geese are ganders. One is a white chinese the other is still unknown. They are bonded. I was wondering should i get them their own ladies? If i did they would be about a year younger than the ganders unless i could find someone with geese the same age as mine in my area. What do you think?

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    With any kind of bird, the guys only really get aggressive once ladies get thrown into the mix. Another thing to consider is that the females really shouldn't be introduced when they are so much younger. They can get hurt. If you can find a few ladies about the same age, then go for it! Just don't try raising some lady friends for your bachelors from goslings.

3. cgmaster

cgmaster Songster

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    thats exactly what i had been thinking

4. gardenfairy

gardenfairy In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    If they're getting along, I'd just leave them be. The only reason to get gals would be if you were interested in breeding, which I’m assuming isn’t the case given the unknown breed of one of the geese. One of my geese (an American Buff - I've never kept Chinese, which I think are maybe a bit feistier?) ended up being a gander and he's a fantastic, sweet bird who doesn't seem to mind bachelor life one bit.

5. flockman

flockman Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    My gander's first mate died when they were yearlings. After she died I bought 2 female goslings and he raised them. He protected and cared for them. Ganders are usually very good with goslings. They don't breed them until the following season. I do agree that it would be easiest to find girls their age though. I have heard of mixed results with 2 ganders. I have heard some say that they fought during breeding season and some get along just fine. It seems to vary from gander to gander. A friend had pairs of geese but one gander took all 3 females for himself not leaving the other ganders with a mate. If you get girls for each you may have to separate them during breeding season. If you are not planning on breeding you may be okay with 2 boys by themselves.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  6. cgmaster

cgmaster Songster

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    My chinese gander freaks when he cant see the other one(the other one seems to be dominant) after i got them i had been considering breeding them if they werent the same gender. I am hoping to find some females that are the same breed but i only know what the chinese is i have no idea what the other one is.

7. cgmaster

cgmaster Songster

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    [​IMG] hes the one on the right

8. cgmaster

cgmaster Songster

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    [​IMG][/IMG] the day i got him

9. cgmaster

cgmaster Songster