what should i do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theclarkchicks, Aug 10, 2014.

1. theclarkchicks

theclarkchicks New Egg

Mar 17, 2014
    [​IMG] this chicken is 5 months old and has not started laying yet. I noticed this a few weeks ago, but didn't think much of it. Upon further investigation, it goes the full length of her spine. We have 7 chickens total, One other many have one tiny spot that looks like this, but nothing on any of my other. We have three different needs total. Can anyone help me?

2. Do you keep a rooster with them?

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You have another chicken picking/pulling her feathers.

4. That is exactly what I was thinking.

If you make sure all of the chickens can access feed and water at the same time, it can help them not to pick on each other.

5. theclarkchicks

theclarkchicks New Egg

Mar 17, 2014
    I have no rooster, and they can all access food and water at the same time. They seem calm most of the time, never any squabble we have heard. What can i do? Will they grow back?

6. enola

You need to figure out which hens are doing the plucking and remove them from the flock. Then you need to figure out why they are plucking feathers. How many hens do you have? How big is their pen? What do you feed them?

7. They can pluck feathers it their diet is too low in protein or calcium.

In regards to your last question, yes, they will grow back when she goes through a molt.

8. enola

If the feathers have been pulled out, they will grow back. If the feathers have been broken off, they will not grow back until they molt.

9. enola

How many chickens do you have? How big is their pen? How much protein are they getting?

These are the biggest reasond for feather picking......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by