What should I do?

LittleHobbyFarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 6, 2014
We have had rabbits for a bout half a yea or so and they are amazing. I now realize how literal breeding literal "breeding like bunnies" is. We have had about four or so litters so far. We have some pet Lionhead rabbits. So far we have given away two and they keep breeding. Should I separate the females from the males?

I'm new to raising meat rabbits but have had pet rabbits for years. Several breeders and other knowledgable rabbit people have filled me in that it works out pretty well when each bunny has its own cage, regardless of sex. And yes, definitely in your case separate the boys from the girls if you don't want babies.

We have had rabbits for a bout half a yea or so and they are amazing. I now realize how literal breeding literal "breeding like bunnies" is. We have had about four or so litters so far. We have some pet Lionhead rabbits. So far we have given away two and they keep breeding. Should I separate the females from the males?

Oh yes please... having them separated is actually pretty important. Does have a dual uterus and they can get pregnant in both. This would be a problem and could kill kits and mom. Raising rabbits is very rewarding because given they are separated and you keep basic records you can have clock precision control over their breeding.

You can either keep all does together and males by themselves. Just put a female in male housings for breeding. If she's going to breed it should happen within the first 10 minutes max. If they don'y breed remove the female and try again in a few days.

Additionally, does can kid continuously however this is not recommended. She needs some time to recover. Otherwise her health will be in risk and her lifespan definitely shortened.

Hope this helps, ENJOY YOUR BUNNIES!!! THEY ARE ONE OF GOD'S CUTTEST CREATIONS!

Back
Top Bottom