What should I expect from my 5 month old hens?

BYOChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
2 black sex link, 1 new hamsphire red, 2 RIR, 1 Barred rock, 1 Auracana...We are getting 2 eggs a day and we think from the NHR and RIR. Last week we got a green egg (Auracana) but none since. Should all the girls be laying at this point or do I need to be more patient? Wondering if I should put a cloth over the nesting box for a darker or more private nest. Anyways.. just curious when a regular routine will start with all the girls.

PS We will hear a loud cackling in the morning from one of the girls like they are proud of something. Is this something they do after laying an egg?

Depending on the breed, it could take a while longer before some of your hens start laying. Just be patient for a little longer.

Some hens tell the world they've laid an egg, others just quietly get on with it. That depends on the individual chicken's character! One of our Araucanas shouts so loud they can hear it in the next county, the other doesn't say a word.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

We had a green egg about six days ago but none since. I don't know what to think except maybe she is still figuring it out. Oh well, wife says we had three brown eggs today. So, maybe the gang is just starting to get going. It's like watching grass grow!!!!

Back
Top Bottom