What should I expect?

The ChickenKing

Songster
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
NY
This morning my 18 week old Speckled Sussex was acting strange, she was making loud noises and was isolated from the others so I figured she was lonely so I brought her to the others. But a little while after that she walked away from the others and walked into the coop, and walked into my newly built nest boxes and is still sitting in them but I'm not hearing an egg song or anything, I also have a golf ball in one of the boxes cause I heard it encourages laying. She's also been doing that squatting thing if I put my hand over her. So should I expect eggs today?

Last edited:
Thanks, at least I know I'm closer!
smile.png

She will likely remain in the box for a good bit - anywhere from 30 minutes to more than an hour. If today is the day to lay she will shift around, rearrange herself and the nest materials periodically, may move from one box to another, may get out and wander but return to the boxes, etc -- eventually she will rise up to a standing position, assume *the posture* of laying -bottom down in a deep squat and commence pushing to move the egg along and out. Just let her be - if you want to observe do so quietly and from a distance that is comfortable to her (watch her reaction to you as you move closer/farther - you will know if you are making her uneasy). After she has laid the egg she will likely remain standing (though she will come up out of the deep squat) for a few moments as she recovers from what just happened. She may hop right out - she may resettle for a bit in the nest - eventually she will hop out of the nest, at which time she may or may not sing.
She also may leave the nest and end up laying elsewhere - either out in the run/yard, on the coop floor, etc.

Last edited:
I checked on her a little while ago and found her in the recovery stage just standing there, completely baffled by what just happened and I not knowing what had happened saw my silver laced wyandotte looking at something under her, and it was a small light brown egg!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I checked on her a little while ago and found her in the recovery stage just standing there, completely baffled by what just happened and I not knowing what had happened saw my silver laced wyandotte looking at something under her, and it was a small light brown egg!!!
big_smile.png
Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom