What should I feed my 5 month old silkies.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bryam, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Hi!
    I was just wondering if I should put my 5 month old silkies which I have to switch off of chick starter, should I put them on grower food, or layer food? Crushed layer food or pellets? I heard that silkies don't like eating pellets, that they are too big, is that true?

Thanks for the advice!

2. You can get layer crumbles.
    If they have larger combs, and starting to look like laying hens, then I'd switch them. If they're still very pullet-looking, then I'd leave them on what you have,
    If you want, you can crush up egg shells (put them in the oven on broil for 15 minutes, then crush them into a fine powder) and put then on the food, or offer oyster shells

3. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    My birds are show quality silkies, the girls have very flat combs, only my roaster has bumps on his comb. They are 4-5 months old, with huge crests of feathers, you can't even see their eyes or faces, they look like fluff balls. I was wondering if the elevated calcium in the layer food would be harmful to my birds, if they will only start laying in 2-3 months?

Thanks!

4. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    maybe I am better off putting them on grower- finisher food? Is organic food worth feeding?

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    There is a huge silkie thread over on the Breed, Genetics & Showing Forum, you might want to ask over there for any specifics so far as what the optimal feeding program for show silkies might be.
    I personally feed mostly an all-flock type food and put out shell for supplemental calcium. If I do feed layer food to anybody, I wait until they are actually laying.
    I think there are as many opinions on organic food as their are chicken owners, plus one. I don't feed it on a regular basis because it is so much more expensive.

6. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    My silkies are on grower crumbles. I won't feed layer pellets to mine because the calcium is to high for my non-laying silkies. Apparently the calcium can build up and cause kidney problems.

My silkies will remain on grower crumbles and when they start to lay I will add a calcium supplement in a separate dish so those who need it have access.

7. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Okay, thepouts how old are your silkies? I heard that if you don't feed layer food, then when they do lay, the eggs will have no shells! I am more confused than ever now!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  8. No, they won't lay shelless eggs. They may be soft, or less often, but you can get shell less eggs with or without layer pellets.
    Just leave them on the same food until they have developed combs, they don't sound ready to be put on layer food.

9. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Mine are mixed ages so my oldest is 7ish months and youngest is 7 weeks.

When they start laying I will put some oyster shell in a dish which they can have free access to. Which will help to prevent soft egg shells etc. this was recommended by a breeder so ill follow her advice and see how we go.

10. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Hello!

So I went to the feed store yesterday and I bought a bag of layer food. I still have about 20 pounds of chick starter left, so I figured I would mix the two together, until they are actually laying eggs. Sounds like a good plan? The grower food has 1% calcium, while the layer has 3.5%. I just hope the elevated levels of calcium don't harm my birds..I am getting a lot of mixed messages...I only have 5 silkies, so this food will last them at least 6 months..

I also bought some wild bird seed mix, I thought I could give it to them as a treat. The food had small sunflower seeds, cracked corn and millet. Could I feed it to them? I heard that silkies can eat seeds with their shells on. True?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by