What should i feed my baby chicks instead of Starter Feed??

What do i feed baby chicks other than starter feed?

• Rice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worms

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Salud

Hatching
May 24, 2015
My baby chicks are aboutl 5 weeks old and some of them dont like starter feed. What should i feed them? I am very worried!

Chick starter is perfectly nutritionally balanced for growing developing chicks. Stop giving them treats, and only give them chick starter. A healthy chick will not starve itself. However, a chick that will not eat or drink anything is a sick chick.

You can fed starter or grower feed, or a Flock Raiser product. If you are feeding other thing, stop until they are eating their balanced diet really well. If they are ill and not eating well, all the more reason to feed a good balanced diet. mary

Chick starter is perfectly nutritionally balanced for growing developing chicks. Stop giving them treats, and only give them chick starter. A healthy chick will not starve itself. However, a chick that will not eat or drink anything is a sick chick.

Yes- this is true.

x2

You can fed starter or grower feed, or a Flock Raiser product. If you are feeding other thing, stop until they are eating their balanced diet really well. If they are ill and not eating well, all the more reason to feed a good balanced diet. mary
x2

Last edited:
Ok you have some kind of problem which is affecting your chicks desire to eat. Whatever it is, you need to get nutrition into the chicks. Bovidr Labs makes an excellent emergency nutritional supplement . It mainlines directly into the bloodstream. No need to be digested. You can use either Poultry or Goat Nutri-Drench. Just use the Poultry usage and dosage instructions whichever you pick. I have used these products on my collies and chickens for over a decade. Last season we raised 42 Light Sussex chicks on the Goat formula with the Poultry instructions and no sickness and didn't lose any. http://www.nutridrench.com Put 2ml per gallon in their water for maintenance. 4ml per gallon for birds under stress. If the birds don't like the taste of the 4ml solution you can use 2ml instead. Tho the formulas are species-specific, they also meet the standards for a universal formula. Just use the Poultry instructions. Tractor Supply has the good price. Poultry for 6.99 and the Goat for 9.99 .
Also check with your local feed store. Also give each chick 2 drops by mouth. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours. It is measurable in the bloodstream in 30 minutes with 99% utilization. This will give you some time to figure out what is going on with the chicks desire to eat.
Best,
Karen

My baby chicks are aboutl 5 weeks old and some of them dont like starter feed. What should i feed them? I am very worried!

Depending on breed involved, the starter feed can be a little rich (nutrient dense) relative to what slower growing breeds require. I feel comfortable supplementing with what some call treats but with confined birds I make certain they have free-choice access to the complete diet. If the birds are not getting a lot of treats as assumed by other posters, then make certain your feed has not gone bad from improper storage or age. I store my feed in a cool dry place and try to use it within 2 weeks of purchase, 1 month maximum. If birds otherwise in good health then purchase another bag taking care to look at run date. Ask questions about about run date if need be.

By five weeks my birds also start taking an interest in greens which I allow them access to. Protein content of such well below requirement level but diet is not just about protein.

Back
Top Bottom