What should I feed my chicks as treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiyo, Jun 25, 2010.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    I have 2 really sweet baby chicks, but what do I give them to tame their sweet tooth? I want my babies to love cuddling, as we are in a family of five, and so they have got to get used to all the snuggling that comes with us [​IMG]. So I am planning to give treats whenever they hop on our laps, let us hold them ect. The only thing I don't know is what I should give them as treats? What do you all recommend? Apples? Egg yolks?

Oh and here is a pic of my two chickies:
    [​IMG]

2. LadyBeartoothMamma

LadyBeartoothMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Absarokee Montana
    I give mine tiny cut up cherries you get from the store in the produce. they seem to like it but i dont give them too much,. I dont give them the pit but they like it.

3. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    At 3 weeks old, I gave my chicks cooked thin spaghetti. I cut it up and wet it a little so it wasn't sticky. They went crazy over it. I have also bought them mealworms at the pet store. They like watermelon and cut up lettuce. You can give them more of a variety when they get a little older.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My six are just under four weeks. They're now eating, besides their chick starter, grapes, apple slices, lettuce, chard, yogurt, and the big favorite, earth worms!

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Mine love peaches! I either let them finish what I dont eat (from my hand) or I cut one up into little bites and put it on a paper plate. They also have had grapes (leave whole for 'keep away' games) or cut them up so everyone gets a share without having to run away. They have also had cottage cheese, fresh corn cut off the cob, lettuce, leftovers, stale bread. If your chickens are young cutting up your treats is easier for them to eat. Older birds can eat many things by pecking off bite size pieces. Tomorrow they are going to get watermelon.

6. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    A very smart chicken farmer told me to give the chicks pieces of boiled eggs for a few weeks as a treat. I think it helps them to grow and florish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by