What should I feed my Egg layers? They free range also.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Joe.G, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    What should I feed my Egg layers? They free range also, Just wondering if there is like a one food covers all bases kind of thing, I am guessing egg layers pellets/mesh would be good for this.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

Welcome to BYC JoeG. I feed my girls Purina Plus. It is fairly new. I love it. Smaller pellet size and smells good. My girls also free range all day. Even when it snows.
    Michele

3. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Any commercial layena for egg layers give free choice 24/7 should do the trick. Along with the free range time they should be happy little egg layers for you. [​IMG]

4. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    DO I need anything else like grit and other supplments?

5. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    The commercial layer pellets are designed to be a complete feed. I find my girls lay better and are less prone to egg eating if I also allow them shell grit free choice. The feeds usually hve 3-4% calcium which is supposed to be enough but if my grit runs out, the girls will eat eggs, every time. I don't know if anyone else finds this. I also allow mine access to a fine pebble grit for digestion aswell. If they free range they ren't supposed to need this easily as they should find plenty of little rocks in the soil.. I hve very fine top soil so i don't rely on that. Anything else is a treat.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Greens & laying pellets complete diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by