1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What should I feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abc123no, Oct 8, 2012.

1. abc123no

abc123no New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    nowhere
    We're picking up 5 laying hens today or tomorrow. My husband does not want to buy chicken feed because they put plastics and sometimes chickens in it.

What should I feed them?

2. ibarbidahl

ibarbidahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    What exactly did he think to feed them?

If he is so concerned about it you'll have to go full organic, but definitelymake sure they get the needed vitamins/minerals.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I would encourage you to do a bit more research on chicken feed. There are a lot of different kinds and each one comes labeled with an ingredient list and a percentage break down and how much of what it in the feed. There are even organic feeds available. If you are not interested in feeding animal protein to your birds there are a number of feeds that have only soy protein (although many farmers feel animal protein is better for the birds).

You can research making your own feed but chickens are omnivores with complex dietary needs and protein is a really important part of their diet and necessary for egg production so do so thoughtfully.

There is no harm in feeding chicken to a chicken as long as you are not feeding them brain or spinal tissue.

4. abc123no

abc123no New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    nowhere
    Okay. He's heard horror stories is all.

What do you guys feed your chickens?

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I buy the Purina Start & Grow. All my pullets are laying. I offer oyster shell and a Flock Block free choice. It is about $10 for a 25# bag. The Organic feed at my store is $25 for 25#. I also free range my chickens during the day.

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I feed an organic grower mash (I sadly don't know what brand it is off the top of my head but it is the only organic option if I want to buy locally in the city). I give oyster shell on the side for calcium and supplement the feed with mealworms, germinated grains and table scraps.

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    You have several options in feeding layer hens. Either provide a feed which should state "Layer Feed' on the label. It's normally 16% protein and contains calcium. That is all that is required. Option # 2 is a Starter/Grower or Flock Raiser which is normally around 20% protein and does not contain calcium. If you go with the higher protein feed you will have to provide oyster shell calcium as a supplement to their diet.

Chicken feed comes in two grind types, Pellets or Crumbles.

If you will be feeding anything other than just the feed it's best to provide grit as well. It's basically fine ground rock. They will need this to help in digesting food.

We feed flock raiser and provide oyster shell calcium in a separate container for all our layers.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I feed organic chick starter mixed in with grains/seeds as desired, oyster shells (layers) and grit.
    Organic cracked corn
    millet
    wheat
    Black oil sunflower seeds
    split peas
    Austrian peas (they don't like these and I am not buying them again)
    rolled oats
    rolled barley

Definitely the organic feed is worth it for non-GMO soy.

Org. chick starter is 20% protein which I cut with the grains/seeds to end up around maybe 15% protein I am guessing (I used to measure everything and weigh but no more).

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote: Poultry (Chicken) Feed comes in more than 2 types.

You can get poultry in a Mash, Crumble, Pelleted, Extruded and a "Mix" (a mix can contain a mixture of whole grains, pellets and extruded feed)

Mash
    [​IMG]

Crumble
    [​IMG]

Pellet
    [​IMG]

Extruded
    [​IMG]

"Mix"
    [​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Thanks for adding those images Chris. Can you get all those different forms of feeds where you live? I wish I could. Around the towns close to me it comes in two forms, crumble or pellet.

Plus I am referring to either 'flock raiser, starter/grower or layer' feed in my statement of two different grind types. I've never seen any of those 'types' of feed coming in Mix, Extruded, or Mash.

Originally Posted by Red Barn Farms
    Chicken feed comes in two grind types, Pellets or Crumbles.

'Mix" is not a grind type as my original post states.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by