What should I get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheChickGirl01, Mar 20, 2015.

1. TheChickGirl01

TheChickGirl01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    I am planning to show exotic chickens at fair, but I am not for sure what breed I should get. Do I get bantam, cochin, or feather footed? I am wanting opinions, hoping to get/ order chicks tonight.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Nothing like planning ahead is there? If it were me I’d chat with the person running the chicken show at the specific fair and get their opinion. Part of that will come from which section you plan to enter. Some fairs have different sections for competition, especially for 4H members.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Cochins are/can be bantams and they are feather footed :)

What do you like in a bird? If Cochins appeal to you, they make excellent show birds. They're quite docile, which makes them easy to handle. However, they're popular at shows, so you'll have A LOT of competition.
    I would suggest attending a few of your local poultry shows to see how things work. You'll also get to see what's actually being shown there and the quality of the competitors. And you might find a breed that catches your attention, or be able to find great quality fowl there. Win, win!
    Good luck :)

4. TheChickGirl01

Mar 20, 2015
    thank you so much for the advice. I am wondering if clean legged bantams would work. I have 2, but one in the mother to the other. I am interested in in cochins. I am just wondering if the local farm store would have any or if I would have to order them from an online hatchery? I dont want to many that is why it would be hard to order online. I would like a max of 5. so then would I was wondering if it be possible for me to order online at all?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You can show any breed you'd like, feather legged or clean legged. Where do you plan on showing them? At your local fair? I ask because, if you intend to attend large shows, hatchery birds are usually not the best representations of their breed. They'd probably be okay for a local fair, or maybe even 4H, but they likely won't place well at a show that has lots of breeder/show quality chickens...

6. TheChickGirl01

Mar 20, 2015
    I will be showing them at the county fair here. it is a bigger fair, but not like state. This is a 4h project, I hope I do well![​IMG]

7. barkinghills

barkinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    Hi,

I love Cochins and Bantam Cochins, too. They are great breeds. I also love all the varieties of d'Uccles, as they are beautiful and docile. There are some hatcheries that will send small orders of chicks. I can think of Cackle Hatchery which has a Town Special, and also My Pet Chicken. There are others I'm sure. You can search for posts about hatcheries that sell small orders of chicks. Your 4-H leaders should also be able to hook you up with other local chicken people who may have chicks for sale.

We have several local feed stores that get Cochin Bantams in, and two specialty farm stores in larger surrounding cities that get full-size cochin chicks.

Good luck, and enjoy your chicks! Let us know what you end up with.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. TheChickGirl01

Mar 20, 2015
    I will[​IMG] ! I went to the bomgaars near us today and got 5 barred rock and 3 California white. I am hoping to do a little more looking into what breed to get and where to get them from. thank you so much for the information. I first started chicks last year around this time and now since we moved to a bigger farm and back to my grandparents house we were able to get more!!! I hope that the TSC here will have some! I am wanting goo chicks that I can work with easy. this is my first year showing chickens at fair and I am really excited so thank you very much for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by