What should I give to my chickens at 90 F temperature?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by imran_uh, Jun 26, 2008.

1. imran_uh

imran_uh In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Yogurt or rice or something else?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would never give rice unless it's cooked very well. Uncooked it can be harmful... folks give uncooked rice around here to kill unwanted pigeons...

I give ice water.... and we've gotten up to 116 this year.

Yesterday we had our first monsoon sprinkle... YEAH!

3. imran_uh

imran_uh In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Oh! But I've given them uncooked rice many times... Even I give them Red Rice everyday!

What about Honey?

4. doodledo

doodledo Songster 11 Years

Jun 4, 2007
    I lay bags of ice around, covered with a towel.

5. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I gave mine a cold watermelon yesterday and we were at 95 degrees. They loved it. I also give them plenty of clean cold water.

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    When it gets over 90 here, I make vitamin & electrolyte water,chilled of course,lol. You can get some at the feed store,it's powdered.If they don't have instructions on smaller amounts,call the company who makes it.
    Cold watermelon is good for them too. [​IMG]
    Good luck, I'm ready for fall already.

7. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    What I do when it gets really hot I fill empty aquafina and dasani bottles with water and freeze them. Then I( put them in the coop so the chickens can sit on them and cool down Good luck

-Chickenman8

8. DDRanch

DDRanch Songster

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Good ideas on heat. We have experienced some really hot days lately, so this thread was very useful to me. I change their water frequently and provide extra, make sure they have plenty of shade and feed water rich food treats...apples and watermelon are favorites. No corn or scratch as I read that corn will increase their body temperature.
    Anne

9. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Songster

May 23, 2008
    I just put a box fan out so they can get extra air flow. But my girls are used to higher temps. We dont worry unless it tops 100 here.
    I guess its what ever their used to. [​IMG]

10. Judymae

Judymae Songster

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    My chickies get a fan that blows 24/7. Then yummy cold treats. They love frozen grapes!!! I also pour yogurt into dixie cups and freeze it. Then peel the cup off and put it on a pie plate for them to devour! They love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: