What should I hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nhrocks, Jan 30, 2017.

1. nhrocks

nhrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    So I have a hen who's gone broody. I was going to hatch chicks this year, but not yet, so my breeds are still mixed up in one big flock. I'm going to give her something to hatch, but I need it to be something I can sell easily because my breeding goals do not include mystery mutts.

Hens:
    Welsummer
    Ameraucana (blue and black)
    F1 olive eggers (BCMxAmeraucana) (blue)
    Dominique
    White rock
    Silver spangled Hamburg
    Silver spangled appenzeller spitzhauben
    Leghorn x ameraucana (just barely started laying)

And the boys:
    Olive egger (their brother) (blue)
    Welsummer
    Ameraucana (blue)
    Silver spangled appenzeller spitzhauben
    Leghorn x Ameraucana (will be culled soon, but is mature)

What eggs would you hatch? I can tell them all apart for sure except the hamburg and spitzhauben. There could be some pretty cool chicks in there, but absolutely no guarantees on who's the daddy.

2. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    And just in case it looks like I have eight hens and five roos, I don't lol. There are 19 girls, and soon to be 3 or 4 Roos.

3. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    What aboout the olive egger and leghorn mix... maybe that would give you a strong blue layer... Im about to try a leghorn hen with a buff orp. male

4. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    It could. Or they could've been bred by the welsummer, and be more olive. My problem is that she's broody now, and I need to give her eggs (or start incubating) this week. No time to set up breeding pens.

I would personally be interested in hatching the hamburgs and spitzhaubens, might get some blue crested or polkadotted things that lay Easter eggs. Or might get plain black or white flighty things that lay pretty eggs in trees.

I guess I could just hatch one of everything for fun, and price them cheap (cheep cheep!) to make sure they sell.

5. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    That is true and just say you dont know exactly what they are.

6. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    Oh great. Now another girl wants to set. Must be contagious. One of my turkeys just started laying, but I don't think I'll have enough of a clutch ready in time, considering their longer incubation. Now I'm thinking of just ordering some day old pullet chicks for them to brood, then sell them as started pullets once they feather out.

Although I think I will set all the Aneraucana eggs I get by this weekend, at least those will be guaranteed color layers.

Silly hens are starting this business far too early! Don't they know it's midwinter in northern New England???

7. TheHoranFarm

TheHoranFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Breed some Welsummers! Lots of people will buy those. I bought a few a couple of years ago and i loved them!

8. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    I will be breeding welsummers later when I can get pens set up. And Ameraucanas, and maybe some F2 olive eggers.

Right now I can give the broodys welsummer eggs, but they may have been fertilized by any of five different breed roosters. I'm not sure anyone wants a welsummer x spitzhauben or welsummer x leghorn/Ameraucana.

That's my current dilemma. I have no pure eggs, and they are broody right now.

I'm thinking ordering barred rock or buff Orpington pullet chicks will be my best bet. Those are most popular around here.

9. TheHoranFarm

TheHoranFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    Rhode Island
    That sounds good. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by