What should i have in my brooder.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by foxmfan1, Mar 22, 2013.

1. foxmfan1

foxmfan1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    I brought my lil chickadees, home last friday, so far they have been doing great in a large tote, i fill with pine shavings, and clean daily, food, water, they have a heat lamp, and i have a plastic gate pinned down on the top. I have them outside, in their run at min two hours a day in the evening so they can free range, and get used to their run, and outside noises, They've been doing great., I was reading a few threads, and now realize i need to UPGRADE their brooder. right now its a large tote, Im going to make it a probably 2x3 tall box with a heat lamp, fenced top, and pine shavings. my question is this, WHAT else should be in there? Should they have roosts? and if so, how many and in what design? does anyone have some pictures of what their brooders look like for their older chicks? I am just trying to get ideas? O btw, I only have three baby chix 2 rhode island reds, and one white leghorn, almost two weeks old.

2. ohiofarmboy

ohiofarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
    A few days after I got my chicks I made a miniature roost a they enjoy sitting on it. The only thing you really need is the basics though. Its a lot of fun to make little things like that to play with. Get as creative as you want!

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have a little bed (not a cigar box but that size) in for them with little quilts I made... I have the same quilt on the bed 2 days now and it is still clean. How many chicks you may ask? I have 13. They are older now though and they liked it more as babies. but newborns really love their beds. when I go to clean the pen they won't even get off.[​IMG]
    This bed was in for about 2 hrs.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

In the past, I've put a branch section (for a roost), a large rock for climbing (king of the mountain!), and a stuffed animal (very furry/fluffy) in my brooders. I think just like a puppy or kitten or parakeet, a variety of "toys" like these stimulate interest and activity, and help prevent boredom. Plus it's just fun to watch them use their "toys."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Your little naked necks are just adorable!!!!

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    They are. these are meat turkens, I didn't know, I had regular ones before that were full sized but not huge! they are 2x as big and act like those cornish rocks. I may breed them with a bantam just to shrink'm a bit.

7. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    I have a little roost in my brooder and they love it! I also put their waterers on bricks to get them out of the sand once the chicks were big enough to climb up or reach. They naturally like climbing to the highest thing they can reach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by