What should I make for dinner?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vanilla.exe, Jun 30, 2011.

1. vanilla.exe

vanilla.exe Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok BYC friends, tell me what to make for dinner!! I've started a new tradition that whenever I have the day off from work, I will go all out and make a delicious home cooked meal for my boyfriend and I to share. He was so happy last night when he got home from work early and saw me in the middle of preparing stuffed peppers! (It was my first time, they came out sooo goood! He brought the leftovers to work today.)

What should I make today every one?

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Do you have squash and onions? Fry some bacon then add the squash and onions until they cook down. Almost don't need a meat dish when you have this.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    In the summer, when it's really hot out, I like to use the crock pot. (I know, I know...that's winter food!) But it's not winter food. I will put a roast in there in the morning, along with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of Lipton, beefy onion dry soup mix.

Let that simmer all day, and then in the last hour of cooking, you can throw in some carrots, celery and potatoes (or mash your potatoes), and that is a delicious, tasty meal! (And not alot of work for you!)

Sharon

4. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    When its hot I feel as if I need to make things easy for the wife we either can have subs or I try to put something on as a BBQ and make some mac. salad. I do think its fair to ask someone to try to cook for a few hours when its so hot and they just got home from a long day so I try to help out the best I can

5. vanilla.exe

Quote:That sounds good, but I'm not allowed to buy bacon >.>

@chicmom: We actually had pretty much that exact meal a few weeks ago! It was scrumptious.

6. vanilla.exe

Quote:It's hot here most of the year, if we did that we'd never cook! Lol.

7. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    Tell me more - are there any foods you do not eat, are ya'll on any dietary restrictions, do you like hot & spicy, does your BF have types of food he hates/loves, are you on a tight budget, how much prep time do you want to put in....

I love a nice fajita spread. It can look so pretty with red and green peppers, crisp lettuce, ripe red tomatos, pico de gallo, sour cream and guacamole. Also in the summer its a nice cool meal. You can use beef flank steak, chicken thigh meat, or portabella mushrooms [​IMG]

8. vanilla.exe

Quote:I don't eat fish or mayo, he'll eat anything xD We're not on any special type of restriction, but at the same time we do try to keep the calories down. Prep time doesn't really matter since I have nothing to do all day, but I have to have enough time to get it done by the time I get back from the store.

9. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    roasted cornish game hen, baked or mashed potatos (mashed with blue cheese) and salad.

10. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I'm going to suppose that the budget isn't 'the sky's the limit'.

Around here, casseroles are very common and can be really good food. Any meat, any pasta or cooked rice, any vegetable, any sauce.

I've done hamburger, macaroni, spaghetti sauce.

I've done macaroni with a cheese sauce (3 tb butter, 3 tb flour, 1 c broth, 1 c milk, 2 c grated cheese).Mac and cheese can have anything added to it - I'll often do pimento stuffed olives, green peppers and chunk tuna with it.

Turkey, rice, broccoli and cream sauce.

Chili(not a super runny kind, and I make a chicken chili) - put a layer of corn bread batter over the top of it.

Meatloaf mixture put in a pie plate - cook the meat loaf, then cover with already prepared mashed potatoes and brown under the broiler briefly. Called shepherd's pie.

Grits finished with a mix of cheddar and jack cheese, served with cooked collards (little bit of bacon and bacon fat doesn't hurt) and some burgoo stew isn't hard to overdose on...

Sprinkle with crushed crackers or corn flakes or roll out some biscuit dough to thin (1/4"), cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter, lay on top of casserole just overlapping, and brush with egg and water glaze so they turn a nice golden brown - 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by