What should I put in my chicken first-aid box?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tina D, May 10, 2011.

1. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Hello!

I'll be a first time chicken mama this week! I adopted 2 girls, one around 4-5 years old and another around 1 year old. I'd like to keep a first aid box around, so I'll be prepared in an emergency. Any ideas??

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Things I have used so far in my first year of chickens - electrolytes, hydrogen peroxide, blue lotion (spray), triple antibiotic ointment, syringes (large and small), gauze, towels, needles, penicillin, dewormers (ivermectin solution for topical and another one for oral), diatomaceous earth (DE) and poultry dust (for lice and mites), ..... I also keep yogurt on hand and they get this once a week or more often if there are issues and I keep some "charcoal" (not the briquets! just the charred remains of wood we burned) from the woodstove on hand and give it to them every so often (free feed). I am sure there are other items that would be useful too - can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Blood stop powder.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks OP for starting this thread--I've been worrying about what to stock up on.[​IMG]

5. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    this will be good to know...i would add corid.

6. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    I have:

small scissors, tweezers, clippers
    thread needle
    hydrogen peroxide
    cotton balls/pads
    small notebook/pen to keep records
    livestock spray(like bluekote?)
    more but cant think of it right now

in a tote with locking lid and handle

7. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks, everyone! Keep 'em coming... I'll get to work stocking up!

Ailurophile23, what is the yogurt and charcoal for? Stomach problems? What kinds of symptoms should I watch for, before giving these?

8. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Hi Tina - Yogurt provides the good probiotics and helps prevent some tummy troubles for the chickens as well as providing calcium. The charcoal is good for toxin issues - the girls seem to take some every so often. As for what to look for, I wish I could say - changes in poop might be an indicator but it can also be an indicator of many other illnesses. If any of them are sort "off", I look to diet solutions first - only time with your chickens will help you know what is normal and what is "off". The yogurt is also useful if you do have to treat them with another medicine as many of the medicines used will negatively effect the good bacteria in their guts.

~Laura

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  9. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    This might be a silly question, but how do you feed chickens yogurt? spoon? hand?

10. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    Quote:just for those who do not know, cornstarch works a lot better than the expensive powder that is made for stopping blood [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by