What should I use on the bottom of a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fortkevin10, Dec 30, 2013.

1. fortkevin10

fortkevin10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I have an unused rabbit hutch that would make the perfect coop of a hen. It has a wire floor, which allows dropping to fall to the ground. Is wire okay on chickens' feet? If not what could I put over top of it as an alternative?

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    What size are the openings in the wire? The chickens should be able to walk on the wire.

If the openings are too large, you can put straw on the bottom.

What is the size of the rabbit hutch? How many hens do you plan to get?

3. fortkevin10

fortkevin10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I plan on only keeping one hen in there. It is about 3.5 ft by 2 ft. I would let it roam in the yard too though. But the holes are rectangles about .5 in by 2 in.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    That is a lonely life for a chicken. If possible, build a bigger coop with a run and have at least a few hens.

That bottom has openings that are too large for chickens.. You can put straw on the bottom.

1 person likes this.
  5. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Yes, chickens are social creature - they cannot survive alone.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

I'd look in to replacing that bottom with plastic poultry grates. Much better for their feet and could help you avoid cuts and bumblefoot issues. http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ent-ft_poultry_fencing_flooring;pgha2215.html

And, get at least two more hens. They really need the company for health and happiness. Stress can kill a chicken and being alone is stressful. Safety in numbers. There is a reason some people are called chicken you know. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by