What should I use to cover the roof of my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cullenf27, Jun 11, 2011.

1. cullenf27

cullenf27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I have a piece of plywood as roofing but i want to add some type of roofing to it. I was thinking of using either tar paper or putting a type of paint that I could use as a sealant. There are so many ways and I have also been told to use the cedar shingles you can buy in bundles at Home Depot. I am at a total lost of what to do. I was wondering what I should use for the most economical purchase and what will work best.

Thanks for everything

2. jinxschuh

jinxschuh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Northern Utah
    If you wanted the simplicity of paint maybe you could spend just a little bit more and get garage flooring paint. It goes on thicker then regular paint so I would think it would make a better roof option. I have used garage floor paint on my garden boxes and it has done really well in the rain and even the snow.

3. cullenf27

cullenf27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks I will defiantly look into that. I don't have to worry about the snow here because I live in Florida:p.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Paint will work well or you can look at using a old sunshade or picnic table shade (bet you can find one of those in Florida) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by