What should I use to treat my chicken's respiratory disease?

Chickenclaw

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Australia, Vic
Hi,

My year old Barnevelder hen started to sneeze yesterday and I believe that she has a respiratory disease. She doesn't have a runny nose or eyes, however I have treated her today with antibiotics and Vetericyn plus (antimicrobial wound spray). So far she doesn't seem too lethargic and is still eating, drinking and running around. Is there any other medication or antibiotics that anyone would recommend me getting for her?

You really shouldn't use antibiotics unless you can confirm an infection. It creates antibiotic resistance. :]
Any weepy eyes? it could just be something stuck in her airway if she's acting normal. How often is age sneezing?

She sneezes about every few minutes, however it has been happening less today than yesterday. Her eye don't seem to be weepy and I tried to look in her throat incase she has gapeworm. I didn't succeed in looking at her throat, but she isn't shaking her head or gasping for air like another one of my chickens who previously had gapeworm. She does leave her beak slightly open, but only after I tried to look at her throat.
Thanks for the information on antibiotic resistance, don't know how I didn't think about it before.

Back
Top Bottom