What should my coop consist of???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kristi2chickens, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Kristi2chickens

Kristi2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    What should my coop consist of??? Should I put linoleum on the floor or keep it wooden??? I don't really understand the ventilation... If I have openings above them(with wire covering)wouldn't rain and snow and things like that get inside the coop??? For a pen, would I just use wire and wood??? I'm basing my coop off of Hinkel Haus.:D Thanks!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. WCHomestead

WCHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Our coop has the ventilation slots and windows covered with wire and the rood, so no rain or snow gets in. We have two runs that are both made with wire fencing and chicken wire around on the bottom 3 feet or so (to keep said birds from sticking their heads out of the fence). The floor of our coop is plywood with a thick layer of wood chips.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hope this helps!

3. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you very much!!! This helps me out!!! I still don't know how rain and snow wouldn't get in the ventilation slots... Sorry... Where would I put them???

4. WCHomestead

WCHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Mine are above the windows and up under the awning of the roof. Never had an issue with rain or snow.

5. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Have window shutters.. close em up when "fowl" weather :). we are making our own windows by dado (ing) out 2x4s, sliding plexiglass in, hardware cloth on inside as screen.... floors, plywood and cover that with linoleum, wood chips/ straw...

6. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    forgot to mention, hinges on top of windows, swing open, hold with stick or chain...

7. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Okay, thank you very much!!!

8. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Thanks!!! This helps!!!:D

9. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Kk, thanks!!!:)