What should my indian runner egg hatch humidity be ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by burlingame413, Feb 17, 2016.

1. burlingame413

burlingame413 New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    I started at 45-65% the first 25 then I raised it to around 85% one egg never pipped one egg did bith died? I am new england winter doing this indoors.. Please help!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. Gone-Quackers

Gone-Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2015
    Des Moines, IA
    For ducks they recommend humidity at 55% and then raise to 65% the last 3 days before hatch.

3. burlingame413

burlingame413 New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    Thanks !
    I am hoping to get some more opinions I have read so much I don't know what to believe

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I typically have 35-45% humidity during incubation, then raise to 55-65% at lockdown (last 3 days). So, I think your humidity was a bit too high. The best way to check if your humidity level is correct for your particular eggs is to monitor air cell size during incubation. Here is a good chart for proper duck egg air cell size at different days of incubation:

[​IMG]

If your air cells are too big when you candle, you'll want to increase the humidity to keep them from losing more moisture inside. If they are too small, you need to decrease humidity so they will lose more moisture and grow to the correct size.

5. Gone-Quackers

Dec 21, 2015
    Des Moines, IA
  6. burlingame413

burlingame413 New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    thank you that is great info, I am studying hard and have recently got some great local support too, Clening out the bator starting a new hatch soon i also ordered a wet bulb thermometer with the wick so I can make sure my numbers are true

1 person likes this.
  7. Gone-Quackers

Dec 21, 2015
    Des Moines, IA
    Good luck. I'm doing my first hatch in many years and it's amazing how much research I had to do before I started. Details haven't changed much since I was a kid but I some things have changed. When I was a kid I didn't get an egg turner or forced air fan (Love mine!) and humidity was a total guess. Of course, even if you follow Cornell/Metzer farms/etc recommendations exactly it's still kind of a crap shoot. But hey, it's fun even when it goes wrong. [​IMG]

8. burlingame413

burlingame413 New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    thanks its good to know we are all on the level of confusion

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by