What should they be eating?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blake101, May 23, 2010.

1. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Okay I have 6 Red Stars that are 11 weeks old, what should I be feeding them, Starter, Grower or Laying mash?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Starter or grower should be fine. Hold off on the layer until they start laying.

Imp

3. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Quote:Starter or grower should be fine. Hold off on the layer until they start laying.

Imp

Can you buy Grower in different % of protein?

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Different grower brands have different protein percentages. If you have a range in mind, look up what's available in your area, and choose the one that's closest, otherwise, if you're concerned, just keep them on chick starter until they are laying, and they'll be fine. If they're outside foraging, they should be able to get enough protein from the bugs and worms they get out there, so they'll be fine.

Edit to add: Unless they love the mash, you can find crumble or pellet in any of the feed you get for them. I find mash gets wasted a lot, but that could be just me.

Imp

Can you buy Grower in different % of protein?

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. flocko'seachicks

flocko'seachicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    St. George, Utah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by