1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What should we do? - NHR badly bleeding from butt WARNING GRAPHIC BLOODY PICTURES

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Frenzie, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    I opened up the coop and found blood. After I let everyone out, I saw there was a bunch of fresh blood all over her butt. We're going to get our unused rabbit cage and put her in it. But, what should we do? I think it's still fresh, so what to stop the bleeding? We were thinking we could cover it, but I just don't want things getting in. I do not see any feathers anywhere, or any signs of our hens could've done it. There is only a big glob of blood on the coop floor, and scatters of blood on the floor in other places. She seems to be fine otherwise - but the sight is horrible.
    She was born last April, and has been laying for a long time. She is a New Hampshire Red, it looks like her intestinces went inside out. I don't want to mess anything up- so any ideas what I should do?Please respond ASAP if you could, I'm worried and don't know what to do.

I've been reading- it looks like Prolapsed Oviduct.... but it says when they're laying larger than normal eggs-she hasn't, they're actually been small, fat, I don't think she's fat... and forced to lay. We don't force them to lay early, they lay on their own time. We do have Preperation H so should we just apply to that area?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I would use the Prep H over the next few days and you are right by keeping her separate from the others. I would take her off of layer pellets to discourage egg laying which will help her heal up.

3. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    Alright, thanks.

4. looks like a prolapse. i would look up the other threads on here about it.

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Read the threads about prolapse but in the meantime, put her in a dark place...daylight encourages laying...the darker, the better! Good luck!

6. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    Alright, thank you! We went to the store yesterday and got Preperation H and cleaned the area and applied it. Then we moved her into the other cage in the garage (dark) and put more Prep. H on. She has made it through the night, and we'll just keep applying three times daily. Anyone know about if/when you should try and put it back in? My mom read about it and she keeps saying we should try and put it back in, but I don't know if that'd be a good idea right now. Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by