what should we do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bmchickens, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    my husband and i have a hatch in progress, and in day 20. we're now seeing them move, and hearing them peep, my question is a couple of them have pipped the shell (a small section) and now has stopped. is this normal? the chicks have a small section pipped out but not through the membrane. should we intervene. thanks missy:jumpy

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

They have to pip and then unzip so it can take up to 24 hours to do all that. They get very tired and have to rest in between trying to hatch out. Give them a while and they will come on out.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Is your humidity up at 70%? If they haven't broke the membrane is it whitish and papery? A whitish papery membrane means it is too dry.

Sometimes they will rest a long time before they finishing zipping out.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Do not intervene...It can take 24 hrs or longer from the first pip of an egg til the chick gets free...they have to rest alot and are learning to breath with their lungs....
    do not open the bator...it lets your humidity and temps out and that can ruin a hatch...

5. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    yes the membrane is looking whitish where the chick has pipped out

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can take a warm wet cloth and wrap it around the egg, leaving the pipped place open to get plenty of air in or use wet paper towels. Take a Q-tip and gently dampen the membrane (carefully do NOT saturate it with drops of water) if you have to later if you don't see the membrane hydrating with use of the toweling or wet cloth.

Check the humidity. Get it up to 70% if you can. Add a wet sponge or a soaked sock if you have to.

Best thing is once that humidity is up to just leave it closed and sit on your hands.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If your eggs have just started their pipping and your humidity is between 60 to 70%...your eggs are just fine and need to be left alone as I say up to 24 hours and longer to pip and zip out.......as I say opening your bator will cause your hatch rate to ruin.....membranes are white or creme colored...mine always have been....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by