What size brooder for 3 chicks? HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lkstevenschicks, Mar 23, 2015.

1. lkstevenschicks

lkstevenschicks New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    We are currently using a 40 gal Oval Feeder Stock tank that is roughly 38 x 29 x 13. Will this be big enough till we move them outside at 5 weeks or so? 2 of the chicks are 3 weeks old today and 1 is only a week. PLEASE HELP. This is all so new to me and don't want them to be crowded.

Any Advise will be helpful. Also, we live in the seattle area and the temps at night are in the 40's right now. Would they be okay to take outside soon to be put in the coop? And would you use a heat lamp?

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Your brooder is more than sufficient. They should be fully feathered around 6 weeks (head is last to feather out). I usually wait for night lows to be around 50 to move them out. Wait until your youngest is feathered to move them, you'll no longer need a heat lamp (also a huge fire hazard in a coop).

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    That should be fine for 3 chicks. If you move them out at 5 weeks of age and the nighttime temps are still in the 40s or 50s, I'd recommend using a heat source for a week or two. You may or may not need it during the daytime, depending on the temperature.

Be REALLY careful if you use a heat lamp in a coop. Many coops and flocks have been lost due to heat-lamp related fires. I recently switched from a heat lamp to an Infratherm Sweeter Heater panel. The chicks love it and I don't have to worry about fire risk anymore.

4. lkstevenschicks

lkstevenschicks New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you so much!!! I can sleep better now. I'm an over crazy chick mom. LOL!

5. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Lol, don't worry, my first ever batch of chicks felt like having a newborn in the house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by