1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What size brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheBigWRanch, Feb 18, 2007.

1. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Hi everyone! I am getting 94 chicks from Ideal poultry on the 21st. 20 of them are standard size, and the rest are Bantams. This is the largest # of chicks I have ever ordered at one time, and I'm not sure how large my brooder should be? Could you give me some ideas please!? Thanks

2. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    OK, so I researched it online and I think I've got it figured out. I need 1/4 sq ft per bird the first week and 1 sq ft per bird in weeks 5-8. So I'm leaving now to buy two 5 ft plastic kid pools. In the past I have always used a horse water trough, but now I need more room. If anyone sees a problem with my plans, or has something to add, please tell me!

3. ncboman

ncboman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    I hadn't thought of plastic pools before. Sand on the bottom ... Good idea. [​IMG]

might not be the easiest things to find right now though. [​IMG]

4. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Is sand good with chicks?

5. ncboman

ncboman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    Quote:well, we have a sandy type soil here and I've used it w/o problems. I don't know about storebought washed sand, seems it may be a might coarse by itself.

Sandy dirt has good grit.[​IMG]

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I went shopping for a pool yesterday, and can you believe it, they didn't have ANY this time of year! But I have another idea for a brooder, it is a HUGE plastic tank that is used to store apple cider, that the warehouses use. You can't believe what kind of junk someone can find for free! I'm going to cut it in half, the sides will be taller than the pool, so that should be nice. I had my last two shipments of chicks in my laundry room inside horse water troughs, but now I have to move them to the daylight basement for more room. Although I don't like the idea of dust all over my nice guest bed, couch, and other decorations! Thanks for the ideas.

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    A daylight basement is just one with windows. We also have a door to the outside in it. I am planning on getting everything set up today and tomorrow, so I'll post pics when I'm finished!

10. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Well, here is one of the brooders. It's 4 by 4 ft, the bottom and half way up the sides are plastic, and we left the plastic tub inside the box to make the sides taller, and keep the heat in. The feeders and waterers are on boards to keep the shavings out. The only thing I have left to do is cover the shavings with newspaper and paper towels, and add the waterers when the chicks get here. I'm working on getting the temp stable right now. Unfortunately my camera isn't working properly, and all my pictures are tuning out fuzzy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by