What size brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Megs501, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Hi friends!

My babies should be here in 2 weeks, I am SO excited! We have 6 RIR chicks on the way; I plan to use a 30 gallon rubbermaid tote for the brooder, with window screens on top.

My question is: will 30 gallons be big enough? I have admired the brooder pics thread, and see lots of totes and pet carriers for brooders, but how long can they stay in that size? Will I have to graduate them from a 30 gallon to a larger size before they go in the coop at about 4-6 weeks old? Also, it is so unusually warm here for spring (Arkansas) can they stay outside during the day with their lamp, of course, and only come in at night?

Thanks!

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Umm... that should be good enough, trying to remember what 30g looks like haha. Although when they get older and more leg strength I would suggest going outside with them once they all have firm footing etc. Umm.. if it's not breezy outside and it's very warm w/ their lamp then of course they can, just make sure they're safe. Also I would say if you let them out during the day for awhile they wouldn't have to go bigger but I would maybe say yes, just so they don't get bored and begin picking at eachother ;)

3. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Great, thanks so much! It's expected to be 85 degrees this coming week, but it is rather windy. Maybe I could set them up out of the wind. I will keep them inside for the first few weeks, then maybe at 2-3 wks allow them time outside, and move them into the coop at about 6-8 weeks.

Thanks again!

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I would try to keep them out of the wind for the first 4 weeks. I usually move mine from the brooder to the coop at about 5 weeks. I keep them locked in the coop for at least a week after that before opening the door to the run

5. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Felidaet- why keep them in the coop for a week? Is that so they know it's "home?" I read to do that, but I guess assumed they could go out in the run. Is that not the case?

I'm starting to think I'm not ready for chicken mommy hood! :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by