What size cage do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jul 22, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    What size cage would you recommend for 2 dumbo rats?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    When I had dumbos (a while ago now [​IMG] ), they lived in one of those 3 level ferret cages. And they used ALL of it. You don't need one that big, but mine were spoiled. My neighbor keeps a pair in a 75 gallon aquarium with a wire top, they've got lots of space.

3. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/
    the
    aboslute minimum would be the R690 though the R699 is very popular amoung ratty folks!

midwests critter nation is another VERY popular model among ratty people...
    there is a difference between the CRITTER nation by midwest whihc has smaller bar spacing and the ferret nation by midwest...you have to get the critter nation if oging with those cages, the ferret nation has much too wide bar spacing.
    http://www.critternationcage.com/
    the nice thing with the critter nation is you can buy the single unit then add a second single ontop at a later date if you wanted to [​IMG] the single unit would be fine for 2 ratties [​IMG]

martins and the critter nation cages are the biggest names in rat fancy...many people also make their own cages...
    personally id go with a critter nation or the rudd.

14 x 24 x 12 is considered ABSOLUTE minimum and thats only accaptable if there going ot be out of their cage alot...
    rats will use eveyr inch ofspace and bigger is always better.

personally i would NEVER keep rats in an aquarium, no matter how big the tank, rats need ventilation and ltos of it...something thats not doable in a glass box even with a wire lid.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by