What size chicken do hawks prefer?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Today we just had a hawk try at our 2 4 month old EE and cochin, no one got hurt. Our 5 white leghorns have never dealt with this, they're older and have been laying for months. I want to start off with reflective objects and perhaps 1 or 2 plastic owls or a windsock. Our yard is quite large for netting /fishing line. What size chicken do hawks prefer? What are juvenile chickens?

Hawks will go after any size chicken, at least in my case. We get them all the time here where I live. Reflective stuff only works for so long as the flying predators will eventually get used to it. You may want to try crow decoys. As for what juvenile chickens are, pullets are the females and cockerels are the males. Pullets do not become hens until they are over 1 year old (some consider them as hens as soon as they start laying eggs), and Cockerels do not become roosters until they are 1 year old.

Hawks will go after any size chicken, at least in my case. We get them all the time here where I live. Reflective stuff only works for so long as the flying predators will eventually get used to it. You may want to try crow decoys. As for what juvenile chickens are, pullets are the females and cockerels are the males. Pullets do not become hens until they are over 1 year old (some consider them as hens as soon as they start laying eggs), and Cockerels do not become roosters until they are 1 year old.

Oh ok. I did read that refletive objects just can't be stationary either. How about the plastic owls or windsocks? Would TSC or Cabela's have that stuff? Thanks for telling me what juveniles are. I kinda wonder when chicks turn into chickENs. When they are feathered or laying/mounting(or crowing)?

Hawks prefer smaller chickens out in the open. They have difficulty dealing with flocks were individuals vary greatly in size, especially when larger members fight back as hawk goes after a smaller one. Broody hens and roosters protecting harem family unit will often attack very effectively. Juveniles are sexually immature but a grey area involves the process of final maturation that occurs about time the last of the first set of adult feathers complete development. At that time you will see an abrupt change in roosters towards threats like hawks where such roosters will often attack such hawks when they are on the ground. With smaller hawks, some standard sized roosters will stand ground and/or position themselves between other members of harem.

Juvenile only and hen only flocks are hawk bait requiring greater effort on your part to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom