What size coop should I build to hold 14 chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bloominchicken, Apr 10, 2007.

1. bloominchicken

bloominchicken New Egg

Apr 10, 2007
    Newman Lake, WA
    Have 14 chicks. Need to build coop. Unsure of what they need for size. Does each hen require her own hutch for laying?

2. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    No, you'd only need three nests or so. Four - 5 hens can share a nest. Each bird needs about 4 square feet of space. That would mean you'd need about 56 sq feet of coop space, or say, 8 x 7.

However, I think we all recommend here to plan for a "chicken addiction." If you want to add more chickens later, when you build your coop is the time to plan for it by building bigger than you need! [​IMG]

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    So how many chickens can you have in a 10x20 area? That is 200 sq ft, right? So that would be 50 chickens? Did I figure that right?

4. bloominchicken

bloominchicken New Egg

Apr 10, 2007
    Newman Lake, WA
    Thanks Llysse. Planning for additions is a great idea since I already have some breeds I would like to research for down the line. We recently moved from the city to 5 acres and had planned on getting chickens next year. However, my uncle had an Easter surprise for us.... 8 baby chicks. We just adore them. When I went to buy supplies I couldn't resit getting some more. With 4 and 2 year old boys and a 3 month old baby girls and now chicks, I have my work cut out for me. But so much FUN! Stefanie:[​IMG]

5. bloominchicken

bloominchicken New Egg

Apr 10, 2007
    Newman Lake, WA
    Freebie, I can't even imagine having 50 chickens. I'd be up to my ears in eggs( among other things:lau). But I definitly have the space for a coop that size. Stef

6. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I know what you mean, I was just trying to figure if the addition was going to be enough for my baby chicks. I will have a total of 14 standard chickens and 5 bantams. And it will a be a 20x10 ft area. They don't have an outside fenced area but are allowed out to free range in the evening. Right now I have 4 standard and 5 bantams in a 10x10 ft. and the 10 babies in another place away from them.

7. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I can't imagine having that many chickens in that small of a space. I know they just sleep in there but man. I have a 4X5 cocp that is 5' tall and it seems small for even the two banty chickens I have. But they stay in there, like a tractory. I move it around. I guess if you free range them or have a closed run, and they only sleep and nest in there it would work. But it does seem like a small area for that many chickens.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by