What size egg to incubate ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Youngfamily1989, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Youngfamily1989

Youngfamily1989 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Tennessee City
    I have all pullets some eggs are starting to get bigger some are still very small. I have some of both in my incubator right now. Does a chick only develop to the size off its egg or can it be to small and trap the chick. I was thinking maybe next time only incubate the larger eggs I will see how it goes.

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    You said you have "all pullets"....does that mean you have no Roosters? If that's the case-the eggs aren't fertile and there won't be any chicks. You need a roo to fertilize the eggs. My friends wonder why I have roos if they get mean sometimes, but then they say oh yeah-you need them to get any eggs. lol I correct them quickly about that and say-think about that for a minute-the eggs come from the hens anyways. The Roo just does his thing to make them eventually turn into chickies.If I've misunderstood-sorry. I think the chick will grow to the size of the egg its in...sometimes they get so big that they need a little help hatching, but that's already another beautifully written thread. (I've printed it to save and use if I ever need to help with a hatch.)
    Lisa

3. Youngfamily1989

Youngfamily1989 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Tennessee City
    Yea, I have roosters I meant that all my hens were still pullets,
    lest than a year old.I didn't know if they had to be muture hens so that the chickwould develop properly because some of my eggs are still pretty small. I hope they come out alright. [​IMG]
    Thanks Lisa

4. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    I read that if you are going to select incubator eggs from your flock, they should be 'average size'; not too big, nor too small. Also, typical 'egg' shape is best; with one end rounder than the other, and distinctly oval.

When I incubated a dozen (only 1 time so far), I bought the dozen from someone locally, and what I got was a B IG range; tiny, giant, lumpy, perfect, etc. However, the only ones that hatched were the perfect shaped, average size eggs. 1 dozen eggs is not a large sample to base an opinion on, but this experience suggests that small eggs are less than optimal for incubating.

-M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by