1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What size feeders and waterers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lereg15, Mar 11, 2015.

1. lereg15

lereg15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    Hello all! I am new to raising chickens and will be getting about 3 RIRs and 3 Buff Orps in about a week, so I'm trying to get everything I need to make them comfortable and healthy now, before it's too late. Yesterday I built my brooder pen out of 2x2's, a 4x4 piece of particle board and chicken wire, so I have that done, except for the roof part of it. I'm not sure how I want to go about that yet. I still need to get feed, a heat lamp and food and water containers. My question is, how big are your feeders and waterers? Can I get bigger ones so they will be able to grow into them, or do I need the smaller one's to start out with?
    Thank you in advance!!

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Make a trip to a farm store like TSC and buy all those supplies. You will want the feeder and waterer that screw onto a quart jar. The feeder works fine with a mayonaise jar, but the waterer needs a real canning jar (Mason, Ball, etc) or it jams easily. They make plastic jars to fit as well.

Another item I recommend is a desktop lamp dimmer from a home center. Plugging your heat lamp into that lets you dial down the heat and save electricity. I watch the chicks and if they are all sleeping well outside the lamp perimeter, I dim the light a bit. I can fine tune the amount of heat so they sleep close to the lamp.

3. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Oh yeah, welcome to BYC !!

4. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    Thank you! I have some quart mason jars, but I guess I'll go down to TSC today and see what I can find. I did see a review for the heat bulbs they have and they were not very good, so I'll have to find a better source for that.

I haven't thought about using a dimmer! That would make it easier to control the temp, I'm sure. Plus, I wouldn't have to keep raising the light.

5. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I use 60 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs (which are getting hard to find) and lower the lamp down close to the floor. Cheaper to buy and run. I also have some heat lamp bulbs from TSC that I use for larger numbers of chicks (30+). I've never had any problems with them, they seem to last for years, much longer than the regular incand bulbs, but then they do cost more.

6. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    That would be cheaper! Will they get the temp up enough though? I'll look at my options when I go to town a little later. When I make the top to my brooder, I could wire a light fixture to it and run the incandescent bulb off of it!! What color should I get for the bulbs, the regular, clear or maybe even yellow?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    My brooders are in the basement where the temp is pretty stable in the low 60's. I use the clamp-on fixtures that the home centers sell for < $10 and put a length of PVC pipe through the clamp on part of the fixture. That hangs inside the brooder (a rubbermaid-type tote) with about 2 inches of clearance from the floor to the bottom of the lamp. This gets in down far enough that a 60w bulb is adequate, but your results could differ. Once you have the light one for a few minutes, rest your hand on the floor underneath the light, does it feel warm to you? Then you are good to put in chicks.

8. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  9. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    That sounds like a good plan!! I'll get some bulbs and hook up my lid to see how it works. My basement is staying around 60 now too, so if it works for you, it should be fine for me!!

How about Nutrena[​IMG] NatureWise[​IMG] Chick Starter/Grower, 18% Crumbles, 50 lb. for their feed, or should I go with a higher %?

10. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    That's fine for chicks like you have. The higher protein is needed for other poultry - turkeys, pheasants, quail, guineas, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by