What size gravel underneath sand in chicken run?

Woozlefish

Hatching
Apr 14, 2020
Utah
Hi! We're planning to redo our chicken run with a deep sand bed (6") and we're curious what size gravel folks have used for drainage underneath. I've seen some suggest pea gravel, others 3/4" gravel. Anyone have any experience for/against different sizes? Our main concern is too small a gravel and it won't provide drainage, and too large and the sand will wash through eventually. Love to hear about other's experience with a sand run!

Your concerns are valid, glad you're thinking it thru first.
IMO, sand isn't a great run bedding unless you live in the desert where it's really dry.

Fix any drainage issues first, no matter what kind of bedding you plan on using.
Posting some pics of your run area,
and what problems you think sand will fix,
would help here.

Oh and..... Welcome to BYC! @Woozlefish
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1587160585234.png

Thank you for the warm welcome! We get about 15" water precip annually. The site is not particularly wet or low; I'll get some pics up in the daylight. The last coop was fine most of the year except for winter, then it got a little mucky (same annual precip). Wanted to do something with better drainage if possible this time around, hence the appeal of sand over gravel. As you said, site prep is important, and we're trying to do it right, however we end up going about it!

How big is your run, with how many birds?
If you're looking to ameliorate muck, and stink, wood chippings are the way to go, IMO.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Back
Top Bottom