1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What size grit for Banty's?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicky85254, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    I remember reading that sand was fine as chicks, will it be fine as adults as well? Right now they have a large container of playground sand with DE mixed in it to bathe in that I figured they use for grit as well.

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I use the extra fine grit which is tiny pieces of ground up granite. Sand i think would be fine for a grown chicken

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Sand or no larger than the #2 grower size works fine for my japs.

4. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    How bout a little Parakeet grit?

5. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I use pullet size grit with my bantams and seramas.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Any poultry grit they sell at feed store it just fine. You can also use compactable sand (it's sand and small rock) in your run. Helps keep you run cleaner, dryer, and easier to clean. Plus all fowl will naturally eat the size grit that is appropriate.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Not just any grit will work for all bantams. I got some standard grit and the pieces are bigger than their beaks. There's no way they can use those. You need the size for young standards or smaller.

Parakeet grit works but generally comes in a tiny box that lasts grown bantams about 2 days. It worked fine for chicks for a week. Parakeet grit also has calcium mixed in which wouldn't be as good for chicks. Sand works fine for cheaper. A few $ a 50lb bag.

8. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    So, the large container of playground sand mixed with some DE for them to bathe in, should work as grit too? They seem to be doing just fine, just want to be sure I shouldn't be offering something with bigger pieces?

9. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I use the chick grit for my adult banties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by