What size leg bands?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hottchick, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I would like to buy some leg bands of different colors to identify my girls. I only have 7 but would like to be able to easily identify who is who. They are 2 1/2 weeks old right now. What size band would be appropriate for them? I know they would have to be changed frequently as they are growing so fast. But which to start with now?

Oh, and any guess as to what breed they may be? I'm clueless as they came from a Tractor Supply store. Their picture is my avatar. 4 black and 3 yellow.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I am not clear on this either....
    I ordered 11's for my orp, white rocks, australorps.....
    well, it wasn't long and the band was up hidden in the feathers....that couldn't have been comfortable. Glad I caught it.
    So this time I bought sz 9.....well, they seem FAR TOO SMALL.....
    Are leg bands supposed to be loose? Or snug?
    I have the ones that are sort of spiral and wrap around. Anyone like anything else better? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I have got the spiral plastic ones as well, and so far they haven't been an issue with being too large or too small. They are loose on my peachicks, but one of our hens came with a black spiral band that fits 'snugly' I would say. It's not tight by any means, it rotates cleanly and I can see little bits of space between the band and the leg, but it can't move up past the 'knuckle' of the leg. I think that is how they are supposed to fit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by