What size mesh ..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sherol, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Sherol

Sherol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    For those that use PDZ what size mesh will allow the sand thru and catch the feces? I use a litter scooper with some mesh you get when you buy a bag of onions and it is not catching enough. Do I need 1/8" or 1/4" screen?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I use a kitchen colander.

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I use a mesh paper tray (the kind used in an office). It has 3 vertical sides so scooping is easy. I bought it at a bargiin store for around $3. I also use a wide putty knife to "load" the tray.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use an organizer tray, works great.
    If you wanted to make one I would go with 1/8" mesh.

[​IMG]

5. Sherol

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    I got an organizer tray and it works great.. does leave some fine pieces still in the PDZ. Is there a complete removal and re-adding new on the horizon? Think will go quite a while before needing that. Tried a kitchen strainer but too fine.. did not let a lot of the PDZ through.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't worry about it, you can't get every speck of poop out...what's left in there will dry out it will never cause an odor.
    I keep my sand PDZ mix only 1/2" deep, never remove and replace just add some more cause some is removed when sifting and some gets scratched off the boards.

7. Sherol

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    That is about how deep mine is and I like it that way. Will just add some fresh now and then I guess. Stuff is a bit dusty to work with but really like how nice it cleans up.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Once it's 'not so fresh', it'll still kill odors but not be so dusty.
    You are using the granular PDZ and not the powdered, right?
    I also mix mine with bagged, washed and kiln dried sand...that saves some money and cuts the dust a bit too.
    Whistle while you sift....lol...too blow the dust way from your face.

9. Sherol

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    Granules and just straight.. wasn't sure wanted sand. Like it is compostable .. is that a word.. lol. There is no odor and am probably going to bring some PDZ in the house for the litter box

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Neither sand or PDZ will hurt a compost, but neither will 'break down' as they are minerals not vegetables.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by