What size nestbox do homers need?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by 4HillsSumatras, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

I might be geting a pair or two of homer pigeons and was woundering what size nestbox they will need?[​IMG] Thank you all

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    2ft by 1ft and 1ft high, but 36 inches by 12 inches and 14 inches high is better. You also shouldn't allow them to read throughout the whole year.

3. scramblingmyeggs

scramblingmyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    I have boxes, but my homers choose to nest on the floor. They choose a corner and go for it, and the next time switch and use a different corner.

4. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Quote:They do that sometimes but maybe they don't feel safe in the nest box, maybe thats why.

5. 4HillsSumatras

Thank you for the info.They wont be able to nest in the corner of the pen i have,its got a wire bottom.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Ours are about 14in in all directions I believe. Or some of them are. We have bigger and smaller and they use them all.

By the way, if you ever think about racing them, let me know. We have a club in Salisbury and we're always happy to have new members and new pigeon racers [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  7. 4HillsSumatras

Thank you for the offer.I will think about it.The guys birds i am geting are molting and he can not sex them right now.I will post pics when i get them.I hope to hatch young from them.Thank you for your help.

8. 4HillsSumatras

I was woundering if you have any birds for sale?I am looking for one pair.I like the purple and light brown homers.Thank you.[​IMG]

9. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I would love to see the pics when you get them! [​IMG]
    I can breed you a couple young birds in the spring if you'd like.
    Racing is a very fun hobby to get into. Great for all ages but especially kids. I'm 17, so I'm the youngest member in the group [​IMG] But I still kicked their butts the first two races I was in. I believe I met your son at farmer's day last year or the year before? My dad loves the look of Sumatras but we never got around to getting any.

10. 4HillsSumatras

What are your prices for your birds?What is the time and place of the salisbury meeting/race?Oh by the way i am the son.I am 11 and 1/2.Could you have them any sooner? Thank you for the offer.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by