What size PVC?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dogfish, May 27, 2010.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Building a chicken tractor this weekend for my CX. I'm shooting for an 8x8 structure, and it will be fairly secure. Any suggestions on the size of PVC to use? I was thinking of using 1" or 2" diameter pipe.

2. Three Generation

Three Generation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Go to PVC.com or PVCplans.com and I believe they suggest 1 in.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using 1/2", but I'd say if you want it sturdier, use 1" for the upper structure, and if your putting any on the ground go for 2 or 3"

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Dogfish, there was a thread recently about a tractor made out of electrical conduit instead of PVC because it was lighter, stronger, no more expensive and resistant to UV damage. I remember looking at the step-by-step on it and was really impressed. Maybe try a search on that? If I can find it again, I'll post a link - if you're interested.

ETA: It was 8x10

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Cool. Thanks MJ. Which island are you on? I was at Camp Orkila for a while back in the 90's over on Orcas.

7. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    $120.05 for my tractor materials that I purchased. Went with 1" PVC for a tractor 8'x8'x2'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by