what size should a roost be what shape can it be square??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kcgirldenver, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kcgirldenver

kcgirldenver New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    I was just given a great little chicken coop and five laying hens. The roost inside the chicken coop is just a 2 by 4 board running across the width. Is this the way it should be or can this affect the birds feet. One girl has some funky looking feet. lol

2. Paco

Paco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Enid,Ok
    Thats ok lots of people use them on here . Actually if you live in a cold place you might prefer so the birds belly feathers will cover their feet and protect tham from frostbite.

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    2x4 may help keep those little toe-sies from freezing, if you live in a cold climate. Their toes lay flat and are covered when they roost.
    ........sometimes people have funky looking toes also!

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Funky feet...in what way? Not bumblefoot, I hope.

5. kcgirldenver

kcgirldenver New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    Funky Feet, not sure what bumble foot is brand new peep keeper here. They are sorta flat and spread out the toes curl under at the end just in a tiny way. So what is bumble foot?

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Use the search function here and put in the term bumblefoot. ALso mark it to search for topic only and you will get all kinds of info.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The other thing chickens can get is scaly leg mites, which can make their feet look deformed. You can also do a search for that.

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Some say to round off the edges of the 2x4 so we did but I'm not totally clear why. By the way, lucky YOU![​IMG]

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I use 1 x 4's or 2 x 4's with the wide side flat. I wouldn't want my big fat fluffy butts having to grip and try to balance all night long on something smaller or small and round like a dowel I see some people using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by