What size should my Aracaunas' eggs be?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IngerDulce, Dec 20, 2010.

1. IngerDulce

IngerDulce New Egg

Dec 17, 2010
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    I'm a first time chicken owner. I have a flock of 6 chickens(3 aracaunas and 3 barred rocks). One (or more) of my Aracaunas has started to lay eggs and they are pretty small compared to a store bought large egg. Will they ever get bigger? They are the the perfect kid-size eggs right now. Thank you in advance for any help given! One more thing...how do you post a picture?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When you buy araucanas at least in my experience from a hatchery you are buying bantam EEs (unless they are LF that you bought). If they say ameraucana then that is usually LF (LF EEs). This has been true at least in my experience.

My bantam EE eggs are very small- and they have just recently started laying. They will always be bantam eggs, but my understanding of egglaying is that there are "pullet eggs" that they lay at first. My LF EEs haven't started laying yet. They will be full sized eggs.

My Golden Sex Links have been laying now for maybe 3 months and the eggs ARE getting larger.

Where did you buy them, if I may ask?

Go to uploads then browse. After you select your file, you can upload it. Then on the bottom right you can access "my uploads" to copy and paste the link to the pic- it should post the actual pic not the link after you are done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    When chickens start laying they usually lay smaller eggs. They will get bigger as the weeks go on.

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Araucanas and Ameraucanas lay a medium sized egg. Not quite bantam size...but definitely smaller than store bought eggs. Also, if you truly have an EE, it could be any size in the spectrum!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well first to say, I'm pretty sure you have Easter Eggers (mutt chickens) not Araucanas. For a first timer, it is pretty hard to have the luck to just so happen to get true Araucanas. [​IMG] They're pretty rare, and not sold by hatcheries, feedstores, etc.

Second, [​IMG] - They're young pullets, so they'll always start out on the small side, but Easter Egger eggs usually vary from medium to large. They'll also vary from green to blue to even sometimes brown.

True Araucanas have medium sized eggs, and they're always blue (sometimes a greenish blue) [​IMG]

6. IngerDulce

IngerDulce New Egg

Dec 17, 2010
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    My girls are huge! So they're not bantams for sure. I call them Aracaunas because all three have the side tufts and 2 have willow colored legs and it's just easier to remember one thing. [​IMG]
    We got the chicks at a farm supply store. More accurately, my DH got them for our little girls who were asking,"Pleeeease Daddy...can we get a chicken?" I just got the honor of picking which breed(s) we brought home.
    [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Do they have beards? [​IMG]

Do they have tails?

If they have tails and/or beards, they're Easter Eggers. [​IMG] Also, Araucanas aren't huge, but on the small side.

Pretty egg though.

8. IngerDulce

IngerDulce New Egg

Dec 17, 2010
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    They were labeled as Ameracaunas so I probably do have EEs. Although 1 has no beard or tail.
    I'm sorry I put the wrong name in the topic.[​IMG] I should've just asked if my eggs would get bigger and if they were ok to eat at that size.

9. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't worry about being politically correct, there is always confusion for most about Arauacana's, Ameracana's and EE's. The hatcherys have been the author of that confusion for years. And yes, the eggs will get larger and yes any size egg can be eaten. Interesting to me that you state that one of the pullets is tail-less and doesn't have a beard and muffs but has tufts. There is definitely a difference between "muffs and tufts". Would be of interest if you could post a pic of her on this thread or the one 'specially for Araucana's. Someone would be happy to help identify just what you do have. At any rate, enjoy them for what they are- the eggs will all taste great!

10. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, as for as how to post a photo... Somewhere in the BYC index there are instructions of a couple of different ways to go about it. Also maybe someone who reads your post can teach you a simple method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by