What size should the nesting box be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by xcntry, Aug 11, 2010.

1. xcntry

xcntry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    My husband sometimes has a hard time following directions...nonetheless...we now have small coop ... just not sure of the depth and such for the nesting boxes...

Oh, the box that my husband made is 10"Deep x 10" high...going to divide a 3' piece into 3 boxes... right now I have 3 Black Copper Maran and 1 Blue Andalusian...all 4 are mixed breeds...not full...

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I believe a 12" square is recommended. But you'll probably be OK with 10" . Having three boxes for four birds is plenty. They'll all probably end up using the same one!!!

3. xcntry

xcntry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    Awesome! Thank you!!

4. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    your nesting boxes sound a little small but they should be fine if u have a smaller breed of chicken but i found that they dont really care that much about their nesting boxes as long as they can fit and be comfy they will lay their eggs there.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would divide that space in half, as two boxes should be plenty. My chickens share a community nest area. They all used to fight over the favorite box or lay on top of each other in it, anyway, which is common. I'd rather go slightly bigger than slightly too small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by