What size to make a chick pop door?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheSpiceGirls, Feb 1, 2012.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got 3 9.5 week old Buff Orpington chicks. I've got them in a separate pen inside the big run with my adult BO and Jersey Giant.

They've been in this set up for 3.5 weeks. And I was hoping to go a few more till the babies were a tad bigger. But they are really getting antsy and yesterday, one of the babies flew out of the separation pen and I came home to find her with with the two big hens.

Amazingly, they didn't kill her. Now maybe she was only there for a few minutes but more than likely, she'd been there for several hours.

So I want to integrate this weekend and I really like the idea of setting up a panic room for the babies to get away from the big hens. But how? I've tried opening their pen just 5 inches or so but the big hens can squeeze through.

So I'm thinking I need to cut a pop door shape out of cardboard or wood and go that route.

I'm looking for any advice or direction on size, shape, etc.

2. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Hmmmmm might work, but larger hens as you found can fit in a smaller door than 1 would think........ I'd make it no larger than your largest chick for now and make it bigger as they grow or just remove if no longer needed... Kim

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe I just take some cardboard and do a trial one. I really only need it for a few days. I do think these birds are ready to live together and since the big girls are out numbered, I think this will go okay.

I'll put out extra feeders and waterers and their run already has some hiding places. I will add more.

Watch me come home to find my big fat BO stuck half way in and half way out of this panic room pop door. I wouldn't put it past her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by