1. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 chicks, which aren't ready to go in a coop yet but my Husband and I want to get started on buy the materials and building a coop. I read that for the small size bantams that I have they only need 2 sq ft each. Is that correct? Now it that just for the coop? The run will be good size as we are using my large fenced in veggie garden for them. Also I have NO idea if I have females or males. If they are Roos then they'll need their own coop and run right? Thanks everyone. I'm new to all of this.

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    2 sq ft. per bird is probably about right for bantams, but I would make the coop bigger than what you need now. In the future you may want to get some more birds so having that extra space up front will save you some hassle down the road. The 2 sf/bird size would be just for the coop, the run is extra and should be as big as you can get it. I would keep the birds out of your veggie garden though as they will eat the entire thing and leave you nothing by the end of the season. Roos can be kept with the females, but you will need to watch the rooster/hen ratio. One rooster is good for 8 to 10 hens, any fewer than that and the girls may be run ragged.

[​IMG] and don't hesitate to ask any question, big or small. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here that can get you the answers you need!

3. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you very much! I'm actually not using my veggie garden for veggies anymore. I plan on growing them all in pots on my patio because of the heat and mole problem out here in the Inland Empire. No matter how much I watered last year the heat fried all of my veggies. siiigh I think for the roof of the coop I'm going to grow some plants on top to help with the heat.

4. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    In that case, it should be great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by