1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What sized mesh for chicken run??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amelia123, Mar 31, 2015.

1. amelia123

amelia123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Hi Everyone!!

I'm going to start building my coop soon, and am wondering what sized wire mesh to use....Should I use hardware cloth?? Do I have to use the hardware mesh all the way up, or can I just line the bottom a couple of feet so that the predators can't grab the chickens? How high should the fencing go up?? Should there be a top to the run so that predators can't fly down into the coop and get the chickens??? ANY tips are appreciated!! Thanks so much!!! [​IMG]

2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I think about the most common answer you're going to get is hardware cloth is definitely more secure than most other options. For the run, 1/2" mesh, 19 gauge. You can order it online much cheaper than you can buy local, unless you have someone close by that has some overstock they just need to move.

as for height of run, make it tall enough to walk in so you can get in to do whatever you will (eventually) need to do. My last run, I built 4 ft tall. Plenty of room for the chickens, not so much for me when I needed to clean or move something or retrieve that stray egg. Either bend/stoop over (bad on the back) or crawl around on my hands and knees in the chicken poo.....

this is why my new just built run is 6 1/2 ft tall.

As for covering the top of the run, I have used welded wire dog fence over the top of a run. As long as it's attached and secured well all around the edges, and it's tall enough a coon can't reach in and grab a chicken, it's good enough to keep predators out. BUT smaller birds can get in, and they can carry mites/lice and definitely will help the chickens eat if you have food outside!

You'll find plenty of runs through this site that have chicken wire on top. I just don't trust chicken wire to keep most predators OUT that really wants to get in.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. amelia123

amelia123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Hmmm...Ok thank you very much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by