What small breed of puppy do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KaylorFarms, Jun 14, 2019.

1. KaylorFarms

KaylorFarms Crowing

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Hello all,
    I'm interested in getting a small breed of dog and I really love Basset Hounds, their saggy faces, long ears, etc.. Who can resist? :)
    However I really don't like that hounds tend to run and always have their noses to the ground..
    I was also walking a beagle once and she was literally dragging me all over the property following scents and I even lost control of her one time and she got away. (She was caught luckily) But anyway are Basset hounds the same way? They just seem like the lazy stubborn type to me that don't really care about smelling everything and running all over.. But I really want to know others experiences and opinions. Are they easy to walk on a leash? I'm looking for a small breed of dog that is social and well behaved around other people and dogs without being territorial and barking at them.. I would love some breed suggestions as well.
    Thanks to all in advance!

2. Leigti

Leigti Songster

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    A basset pound is not necessarily a small breed. They are short and stout. They live to smell and hunt. Any hound is like that. And hounds are not necessarily that easy to train. Are you looking for a lapdog? A dog to take on long walks? What are you looking for in a dog?

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    My suggestion,,(and its only my personal opinion) is for you to look into a rescue dog. There are a total of 6 rescues in our combined family.
    Advantage ,,,,,, you get to see how dog is when already past puppy stage.
    Each dog regardless of breed can have own personality, which will vary.
    Many dogs as puppies come from puppy mills, which are cute looking, but many are inbred. These can also develop health concerns/issues. They can also be cute, but not easily trained to be obedient. (I do not like the word st***d)
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

4. Chickens Forever

Chickens Forever Chirping

Jun 13, 2019
    PUGS PUGS PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS!!!!! :loveWe have 3 and they are WONDERFUL dogs!

5. KaylorFarms

KaylorFarms Crowing

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I would really like a lap dog that I can take to parks, petstores, etc.. But I do NOT want a dog that yaps and barks at other people and dogs. I have A min pin mix like that and it's hard because she barks at the neighbors dogs and every person that goes down the street. I know all it takes is socialization but I'm not out that often so I want something that doesn't need a lot of socializing to be friendly towards strangers. Again, I appreciate your reply!:)

Chickens Forever and HuffleClaw like this.
  6. KaylorFarms

KaylorFarms Crowing

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply! Do they ever have breathing problems or difficulties?

Chickens Forever likes this.
  7. KaylorFarms

KaylorFarms Crowing

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Thanks!:) When I was little we got a dog from a shelter and she kept running away until one day, we never found her. I also want it to be raised from a puppy. I just prefer to know about the dog's history and raise it myself from a puppy.:)

cavemanrich likes this.
  8. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    Dittos. @KaylorFarms Don't pay for a dog from a breeder. Take your time and browse/visit your local rescue sites (there are a ton of them on Facebook). Also, regarding your MinPin, little dogs will always bark at strangers. That's what they do, especially if they are with one person most of each day. We have 3 little dogs (rescues) and 3 big dogs (all rescues). They have each other and us but they'll still bark when strangers come to the door or are near the house. Dogs bark. That's what dogs do. Because they're well, dogs. There are ways to train them not to but I don't recommend most of the available methods.

You have one small dog. You don't get out much. You want a dog that doesn't bark at strangers, will sit on your lap all day....sounds like you'd be better off with a small stuffed toy?

Puppies are great. IF you have time to clean up after them and work consistently with them so they'll be house trained, etc. If you don't want to get up at night and let them outside and reinforce "good dog" behaviors like using the potty outside, playing nice with other dogs, etc, you might want to reconsider. Good luck.

9. KaylorFarms

KaylorFarms Crowing

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Like I said, I don't want a rescue dog. We've tried it before and it was NOT a good experience. She was a Houdini and a week after we got her she got out and never came back, so we couldn't give her the shots that the shelter made us keep up on and they ended sending my dad down to court. I'm sorry but he works too hard and is way to busy to have to deal with that kind of nonsense just so I can have a rescue dog. I also don't like rescues because you know nothing about the dogs history and I don't want to end up with a dog that has health issues. I heard that one lady rescued a few dogs and the one ended up having cancer, and the other something else.. and a common misconception is that all shelter dogs are broken, abused, or problematic. While some have been through traumatic situations or need extra medical or behavioral care, shelter dogs are placed in a shelter for a variety of reasons. “We have happy and healthy puppies from ‘oops’ litters where people didn’t spay or neuter their pets,
    And as for a dog that sits in my lap all day, I don't recall ever saying that. I want a dog that fits in my lap so it's easier to carry around and to sit with on car rides.. I know that no dog is actually going to sit in your lap all day.. Lol..
    As for a dog that barks, sure I understand that all dogs bark. It's in their nature. I just don't want one that barks at every single person coming down the street, and every dog and person when I take him/her out .. I have two other dogs that aren't really like this. I thought it over and I would have plenty of time to socialize her.
    Anyway I appreciate everyone's replies. But I wanted recommendations for breeds. Not places to get a dog. I would be getting my puppy from a responsible breeder who doesn't lock their dogs like up in kennels like other irresponsible ones.

Here is a link:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjwzNX0veniAhVDSq0KHaSyC2sQFjACegQIBhAB&url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/17/why-id-never-adopt-a-shelter-dog-again/&usg=AOvVaw3CAJqr_VPH3xVx_q0QK7fP

10. KaylorFarms

KaylorFarms Crowing

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I really like the King Charles Cavelier breed. Does anyone have these?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: