What smells are normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by itsy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'm attepting to hatch chicken, guinea fowl and turkey eggs in the same incubator. I realize they all have different hatching dates, etc. They've been in there since the 14th, I think. I think I've located the source of the smell to be one of the turkey eggs. When candled - there is a large dark mass inside. It got dark before the other turkey eggs did. One of the three turkey eggs looks to be a blank.

Should I toss the turkey egg with the odor? It's not a good smell - but I don't know if any smells are normal???

2. Sailing Dede

Sailing Dede Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bradwell-On-Sea
    If it smells rotten, I'd do a float test. Put the egg in some water, if it floats high its a bad egg.
    I once done this with a goose egg and pushed it to the bottom of the basin.
    When I let go it shot to the top of the water and EXPLODED all over me. It was the worst smell I have ever smelt [​IMG]

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    The float test works with eggs that you are incubating?

4. California Gurl

California Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I think that the float test is generally for eggs that are a day or two late of their hatching date. I recently did it for some of my eggs that were under a broody that was suppose to hatch 2 days prior, but for some reason they didn't. Sure enough they were high floater. I put them in a ziplock and gave them a tap to crack open just so I can see if it's dead or not. One exploded with a light tap and the other two had an underdeveloped chick inside with must have died before lock down.

5. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I had the exact same problem today. I thought it was rotten and tossed it!

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would toss it or you may have an explosion you may not want in your incubator. There should not be any sort of 'bad' smells coming for a live good egg at all. And I would toss the clear one as well if it's totally clear.

7. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I toss anything that's stinky, clear or leaking.

8. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks very much for your help, guys. I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by