1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Someone Told Me About A PitBull

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by deb1, Oct 25, 2009.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    The story I am about to relate is why we have to be wary about what we believe about certain dog breeds.

I was talking to a woman and daughter. They explained that they had gotten two dogs who they were assured were a certain type of mix(don't remember the mix)

Later the dogs became aggressive. The woman stated that was when she knew that the woman she had purchased the dogs from had lied and sold her a pit bull mix.

I asked how she knew that the dogs were pit bull mixes and she said, 'because they became aggressive."

I wonder how many people who have been bit by dogs simply assumed that the dog must have had certain breeds in them because those are the only breeds that they think will attack them.

2. acdoc

acdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    how rude..

3. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Don't get me started!! lol I hate when people stereotype Pit bulls and they have no clue, they just assume!! Grrrrrr i have 2 they are very sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly!!!! i work with a dog rescue and most of the one that nip of turn aggressive are the chihuahua and small terriers, not pits we haven't got a mean one yet!!!

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Wow! That's really dirty that she lied.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. babyriver

babyriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    N E Florida
    Most Pits a very loving, they get a bad rep.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Well, it this case it wasn't a stereotype, but a real event.

7. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:You mean the woman that I was talking to? She didn't lie. Sadly, she just believes that an aggressive dog has to be a pit bull. Of course, she is wrong but that is her perception.

8. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:Well, it this case it wasn't a stereotype, but a real event.

true but she just assumed!! it was a pit mix!!!

9. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a toy poodle that would eat your face off given the chance... He was the meanest dog I've ever known. I have a pit bull that thinks she's a lap dog... She's love you like there's no tomorrow.
    Dogs are like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna git.

10. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:The conversation happened when I was telling her that I didn't know what breeds went into making my dog, Keiba. She guessed pitbull and proceded to tell me that story. I don't know if she was suggesting that my dog was going to get aggressive or not. I was at a friend's house so I just tried to ignore her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by