What sort of bantam should I get?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chloe77, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    I want to get sebrights, but I don't know if I'm ready yet. Aren't they notoriously touchy? PLEASE HELP??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    touchy??

3. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    Yes, they're small and delicate.

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are small but i don't think delicate at all. it's been getting in the lower 30's the past couple of days and the one sebright my parents have does quite well

5. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    if you want to start with "hardy" bantums i would do bantum cochins and brahmas

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Honestly, there are a lot more factors that go into choosing your breed than just if they're 'touchy' or not.

Are you using them primarily for eggs? Brooding chicks? Starting a career in showing? Companionship?

These are important questions to ask yourself. For example, if your priorities are hardiness, reasonable egg production, good forager, and also good brooders; I would recommend Old English Game Bantams.

BUT, if your priorities are companionship, broodiness, showing, cold hardiness, and you don't care about eggs so much, I would point you in the direction of Cochins.

There are a lot of breeds out there with their own pros and cons. You need to clearly prioritize what you want before you go looking.

7. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    My Experience..

Sebright..I have a quirky Sebright. She is flighty and not easily tamed. She lays a thin white egg every second day ( even through winter). She reminds me most of a wild bird.

Plymouth Rock bantams.. The most tame breed I have is my Bantam Rocks.. They are friendly and chatty. They seem to fit in the most when put with new friends. And they are my best bantam egg layers.

Polish..have polish and they are friendly but are the first to get picked on.. They would do well in a flock of only polish.

Frizzles - Cochins.. seem to get picked on also.. I think it is their tempting feathers and most have feathered feet they just can't get around as quick as clean legged.

Cornish bantams.. . A new breed for me. They are a strong chicken and will be on top in a fight.. Not the friendliest but not shy. Pretty broody.

Japanese.. Also a bit flighty but easier to tame than the Sebright. I have found the ones I have not very hardy. Roosters can be hit or miss with personalities.

8. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Also, One breed flocks seem to have less problems but if your like me you want some of everything you will need to manage the roost more. I go down at night and tuck everyone in and rearrange the order on the roost to keep the trouble makers out of trouble!! Also, I keep a baby monitor on to keep an ear out for fighting... I am thinking of setting up a webcam though.. :D

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana

10. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA

I wish now I didn't post my experience.. Bold red *corrections* :/. You are very experienced and I didn't mean to misrepresent the different breeds. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by