1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What sort of chicken am I? (will get pic)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TexasChick09, Dec 1, 2009.

1. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    I ordered a Rainbow Layer package from McMurray and can identify quite a few of the chickens, but I have 3 that I haven't been able to find anything closely resembling what they look like. They are black with white polka dots. The roo has more dots than the hens and a very large single red comb. It's not lacing, but actual white circles all over, in no particular pattern. They also have yellow feet with black speckling on the fronts. They are very talkative chickens and make odd noises at times. Definitely not a heavy breed, but not as light as a game breed of bird although probably closer to that build. They aren't old enough to lay yet, so I dont' know what color legs they will lay. Very shy birds compared to the rest of my chickens, but quite pretty. I will probably have to give away the roo as I have 2 too many at the moment, but trying to find a way to keep him as he's so sharp looking (more hens??) [​IMG].

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Sounds like Anconas.

3. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Well holy crap..lol. I googled that breed and yes, that's what they look the most like at this stage; they are still juveniles. The chicks look just like these 3 guys did. I have been googling black chicken with white dots forever..lol.

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    The Ancona will lay white eggs.... They are part of the leghorn family but aren't considered a Leghorn. This is Anna she is deceased now
    [​IMG]
    Caught her mooching the ducks feed here
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  5. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    So pretty! Ok, since that is a hen, then maybe all 3 of mine are hens. I didn't realize hens would have that large comb.

I love the richness of their black feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by