what sort of goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by rainplace, Sep 12, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

This goose is at a kill shelter in my area. What is it. I might get it and rehome it out of my house.

[​IMG]

2. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Oh, that is a very pretty goose. [​IMG] Maybe a Toulouse? Just guessing.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It looks like my american blue?
    [​IMG]

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    OH! why would they kill it? You have to rescue it and if you don't keep him put him up on craigslist. [​IMG]

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Looks like a Blue Toulouse to me. The head is different than the American. [​IMG]

6. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I would take it we never have anything come up like that around here oh it would be so happy with my tiny pond awww poor thing.

7. rainplace

I only found a few pictures of both, but I'm leaning more towards the american blue. I'm going to call to make sure they still have it and then bring it home if they do. Can't keep it though.

8. rainplace

They still have the goose, so I'm going to go get him.

I am a little worried though. Most of my animals have come from Holderread so I've never quarantined before... I would probably want to quarantine this one though, yes?

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Probably wouldn't hurt, though ducks and geese don't get as many diseases as chickens do. If it is an american blue, it came from Holderreads, one way or another. [​IMG]
    So glad you are going to save it, I wonder if terrielacy has room for another goose? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  10. rainplace

I went and got him/her. OMG s/he is so gentle and tame. S/he had to be someone's pet... and only pet. Goose is afraid of all my ducks and my other geese, follows me everywhere, honks like mad when I am out of sight, let's me pick her/him up and scratch the neck, doesn't want to be near the others... only me.

Absolutely gorgeous. I am unsure though still on what s/he is. The coloring is blueish/grayish, brown and white. It has the dual paunches underneath... one is much larger than the other. Bill and feet are orange.

Shelly, can you describe yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by